Magnesium is one of the most important minerals that we need in our bodies. It's a co-factor in 200+ enzymatic systems and needed for important biochemical processes such as protein synthesis, neurotransmitter regulation, and oxidative phosphorylation (energy production via the mitochondria.) Unfortunately, the average person, especially in America, is deficient in this very important mineral.
Yes, that includes you.
It is estimated that at least 50% of Americans are magnesium deficient which can result in poor sleep quality, diabetes, anxiety and depression, atherosclerosis symptoms, and hormonal imbalance. Before we dive into the benefits, lets talk about what magnesium is and where it comes from.
Magnesium is classified as an alkaline earth metal and it shares this classification with 5 other elements including beryllium, calcium, strontium, barium, and radium. In its salt form, it bares a 2+ charge that is characteristic to its position on the periodic table of elements. Magnesium's chemical symbol is Mg and it is silver in color in its metallic form.
There are many food sources of magnesium including almonds, spinach, cashews, avocado, and broccoli, but with how nutrient deprived our soil has become (read more about that here), I think it is becoming more and more necessary to find outside sources of supplementation (here's a good supplement.) Why? Because magnesium has so many wonderful benefits that you simply do not want to miss out on.
Without further adieu, let's talk about 10 benefits of magnesium supplementation.
1. Increased cardiovascular health - Magnesium works in tandem with calcium to increase overall heart and blood vessel function, especially when it comes to regulating blood pressure.
2. Increase energy - Magnesium is a vital co-factor needed for the body to produce its main source of energy, ATP, aka adenosine triphosphate. This molecule is known as the energy currency of the cell.
3. Muscle relaxation - Magnesium is needed to regulate the voltage in muscle cells. Imbalance in this voltage can result in spasms and cramping.
4. Calming effect - Magnesium is needed with the neurochemical GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) in order to produce serotonin, one of the main regulators of your autonomic nervous system, which includes the sympathetic (active), parasympathetic (resting), and enteric (gastroinstestinal) nervous systems.
5. Fight insomnia - Because of its known activity as a muscle relaxer and a neurochemical regulator, magnesium is an excellent supplement to use to get a restful nights sleep. Most people that use CBD oil or take melatonin supplements could see better effects with supplementing magnesium.
6. Retain bone density - Magnesium is a great supplement to maintain bone density and reduce symptoms of osteoporosis (porous bones.) It is used in the formation of osteoblasts and osteoclasts.
7. Relieve migraine symptoms - Since magnesium is a known muscle relaxant and blood pressure depressant, it can be used to alleviate migraine symptoms by helping to enhance vasodilation (blood vessel widening.)
8. Regulate calcium and potassium levels - There are holes in our cells known as voltage gated channels. The channels can be activated by minerals like potassium and calcium. Magnesium helps regulate the voltage of the channels so that they are not opening or closing prematurely, which maintains mineral balance.
9. Lower risk of T2 diabetes -Though more work needs to be done, early studies show that magnesium can lower risk of type 2 diabetes via better utilization of glucose through increased insulin sensitivity.
10. Relieve Indigestion - Magnesium is able to relax the muscles in the digestive tract. It also neutralizes stomach acid due to being an alkaline earth metal. These characteristics make it an ideal natural laxative.
Magnesium supplementation is something that is proven to have a myriad of effects that you simply do not want to miss out on. I doubt your future self will forgive you if you did.
Are you ready to sleep better?
Are you ready to digest food with no problems?
Are you tired of cramping after the gym?
Do you want to increase your feelings of confidence and decrease your feelings of anxiety?
I've got just the supplement for you. Utzy naturals has a brilliant magnesium supplement called U-mag that has a full day's worth of magnesium in it. It also comes in powder form which is one of the preferred supplement forms (read more about that here.) Subscribe to your new, magnesium fulfilled life instantly to save 10 percent and finally leave a life of insomnia, poor digestion, and anxiety behind! Claim your new subscription below!!